Updated March 31, 2022
- Posted January 6, 2022 – The District of Sooke is seeking volunteers for two positions on the Sooke Program of the Arts Committee. The purpose of the Sooke Program for the Arts Committee is to provide advice to Council on a wide range of community art initiatives and events within the District of Sooke. Note: Meetings occur on the first Thursday of each month at 4:30 pm. Membership will be valid for the remainder of the committee’s term, which expires on June 30, 2022. If you are interested in volunteering, please submit your completed application form to Corporate Services (email@example.com; 2205 Otter Point Road) by January 31, 2022 at 12:00pm.
- SUBSCRIBE! to receive Committee notifications (agendas & minutes) to your inbox.
Learn more about District Committees
The purpose of the Climate Action Committee is to provide advice to Council and recommend policies that will assist the District to achieve a reduction in all carbon emissions by 40-50%, both corporately and in the community, by 2030.
Specific responsibilities of the Committee include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Identify opportunities and make recommendations on ways to build local climate action awareness and promote environmental stewardship within the community, with adaptation and mitigation as the main goals.
- Identify opportunities and make recommendations on innovative projects to help achieve carbon neutrality;
- Communicate and develop relationships with organizations beyond the District of Sooke for the purpose of exchanging ideas, experiences, plans and successes;
- Provide recommendations and feedback on other climate change issues, as directed by Council;
- Review and provide recommendations on policies and bylaws, and plans relate to climate action issues;
- Research and provide recommendations to Council on means of measuring and monitoring carbon emissions within the community.
The purpose of the Select Committee on Community Economic Development is to provide recommendations to Council regarding community economic development initiatives that focus on building fairer and stronger local economies, tackling poverty and homelessness, and investing in sustainable communities (Canadian Community Economic Development Network definition).
The objectives of the Committee are to promote community economic development initiatives, engage and communicate with community groups, business owners and members of the public, and facilitate economic development and the planning and use of community spaces and resources while advancing economic, environmental and social goals.
- Review key commercial parcels, including those held privately, and explore opportunities for development
- Liaise with South Island Prosperity Partnership
- Address workforce challenges for local employers
- Attract and promote investment including the completion of the Community Investment Brochure and updates to Sooke profile on britishcolumbia.ca
- Support Buy Local initiatives, business retention and expansion
- Complete Municipal and Regional Destination Tax (MRDT) application
- Develop a Tourism Strategy for Sooke
- Support social and economic development initiatives of Social Services organizations
- Identify opportunities and make recommendations on innovative projects to help achieve carbon neutrality
- Provide a local perspective on climate change mitigation and adaptation while considering the balance between economic, environmental and social aspects
- Communicate and develop relationships with organizations beyond the District of Sooke to exchange ideas, experiences, plans and successes
The purpose of the Select Committee on Land Use and Development is to provide recommendations to Council regarding land use policies and development procedures, with focus given to the implementation of statutory plans/local area plans/master plans, housing policy, sustainable development practices, environmental policy, harbour improvement, farmland protection, and maintaining compatibility of building bylaw regulations and the zoning bylaw.
The objectives of the Committee are to encourage adherence to District of Sooke land-use policies, and when presented with alternative solutions to achieving the strategic goals of the organization, provide policy recommendations or best practices to achieve the desired priorities.
The purpose of the OCP Advisory Committee is to provide Council with meaningful, technical input on a range of community issues related to the creation of an updated Official Community Plan. The OCP Advisory Committee will provide technical guidance at key project milestones including issues identification, long-range planning matters, policy options, and ideas for leveraging local skills and expertise to accelerate implementation strategies that support the overall vision and guiding principles of the community.
More specifically, the OCP Advisory Committee is intended to:
- Review and provide general guidance on background information, draft materials, draft vision statement, guiding principles, and make suggestions in reference to draft OCP structure and policy selection;
- Participate in consultation activities/workshops as a way to provide guidance into the OCP review process and policy guidance;
- Assist in identifying and connecting the District with key stakeholder groups through personal and/or professional contact networks;
- Assist in informing the community about the OCP review process and encourage participation by diverse members of the community;
- Consider input from the public when making recommendations;
- Act strictly in an advisory role. Council may consider the advice and recommendations of the OCP Advisory Committee, but is in no way bound by such recommendations;
- Report to Council by way of meeting minutes prepared by staff on the Committee’s behalf, and if deemed appropriate by the Director of Planning and Development, presented by the Committee Chair.
The purpose of the Sooke Program for the Arts (SPA) Committee is to provide advice to Council on a wide range of community art initiatives and events within the District of Sooke.
Specific responsibilities of the Committee include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Review, develop and make recommendations to Council on the District of Sooke’s arts program policy, Arts Reserve Fund, official community plan and other district policies and plans that may relate to the arts;
- Identify and make recommendations to Council on community artistic initiatives which may include the acquisition of art and the promotion of community artistic endeavors;
- Liaise with other district committees, district staff, community arts organizations, the business and general community on the promotion of new and existing arts initiatives;
- Administer the Sooke Arts Reserve Fund as may be delegated by Council including but not limited to establishing and participating on juried arts panels;
- Review and update the District art collection as may be required;
- Foster public awareness, recognition, education, support and celebration of the community arts in Sooke; and
- Liaise with organizers of local arts and cultural events for which the District provides funding and/or in-kind support, as requested by Council.
Committee Meeting Participation
Committee meetings are open to the public and take place at Municipal Mall. Public participation in Committee meetings is at the call of the chair.
Committee Agendas and Minutes
View the meeting calendar and subscribe to receive meeting notifications delivered to your:
- Calendar viewof the District of Sooke public meeting schedule
- SUBSCRIBE to Council & Committee Meetings
Unless otherwise noted all committee meetings will take place in Council Chambers, 2205 Otter Point Road, on the 3rd floor of Municipal Hall.
Agendas, minutes, and Council videos can also be browsed using the CivicWeb Portal.
Note: As of February 12, 2021 agendas and minutes are posted through iCompass, historical records are available below.
|Climate Change Action Committee|
|Tuesday, January 19, 2021 (electronic meeting)||5:30 p.m.||Agenda||posted once approved|
|Tuesday, November 24, 2020 (electronic meeting)||5:30 p.m.||Agenda||posted once approved|
|Tuesday, November 17, 2020 (electronic meeting)||5:30 p.m.||Agenda||Minutes|
|Tuesday, October 20, 2020 (electronic meeting)||5:30 p.m.||Agenda||Minutes|
|Tuesday, September 15, 2020 (electronic meeting)||5:30 p.m.||Agenda||Minutes|
||5:30 p.m.||Agenda||Meeting Cancelled|
|Tuesday, June 2, 2020 (electronic meeting)||5:00 p.m.||Agenda||Minutes|
|Tuesday, May 26, 2020 (electronic meeting)||5:00 p.m.||Agenda||Minutes|
|5:30 p.m.||Agenda||Meeting Cancelled|
||1:00 p.m.||Agenda||Meeting Cancelled|
|Tuesday, January 21, 2020||5:30 p.m.||Agenda||Minutes|
|Tuesday, December 17, 2019||5:30 p.m.||Agenda||Minutes|
|Tuesday, November 19, 2019||5:30 p.m.||Agenda||Minutes|
|Tuesday, October 8, 2019||5:30 p.m.||Agenda||Minutes|
|Tuesday, August 20, 2019||5:30 p.m.||Agenda||Minutes|
|Tuesday, July 16, 2019||5:30 p.m.||Agenda||Minutes|
|Friday, June 21, 2019||1:00 p.m.||Agenda||Minutes|
|Community Economic Development Committee|
|Friday, February 26, 2021 (electronic meeting)||9:00 a.m.||Posted once published|
|Friday, January 22, 2021 (electronic meeting)||9:00 a.m.||Agenda||Posted once approved|
|Sooke Program of the Arts Committee|
|Thursday, February 4, 2021 (electronic meeting)||4:00 p.m.||Agenda||Posted once approved|
|Thursday, January 7, 2021 (electronic meeting)||4:00 p.m.||Agenda||Minutes|
|Thursday, December 3, 2020 (electronic meeting)||4:00 p.m.||Agenda||Minutes|
|Thursday, November 5, 2020 (electronic meeting)||4:00 p.m.||Agenda||Minutes|
|Thursday, October 1, 2020 (electronic meeting)||4:00 p.m.||Agenda||Minutes|
|OCP Advisory Committee|
|Thursday, January 28, 2021 (electronic meeting)||10:00 a.m.||Agenda||Posted once approved|
|Thursday, December 17, 2020 (electronic meeting)||10:00 a.m.||Agenda
New Business/ Supplemental Agenda
|Wednesday, November 25, 2020 (electronic meeting)||10:00 a.m.||Agenda||Minutes|
|Thursday, October 22, 2020 (electronic meeting)||10:00 a.m.||Agenda||Minutes|
|Wednesday, September 30, 2020 (electronic meeting)||10:00 a.m.||Agenda||Minutes|
|North East Quadrant Lot A Task Force|
|Tuesday, September 17, 2019 *||9:00 a.m.||Agenda||n/a|
|Wednesday, September 4, 2019||10:00 a.m.||Agenda||Minutes|
|Monday, August 19, 2019||10:00 a.m.||Agenda||Minutes|
|Tuesday, August 6, 2019||10:00 a.m.||Agenda||Minutes|
|Tuesday, July 23, 2019||10:00 a.m.||Agenda||Minutes|
|Thursday, July 11, 2019||1:00 p.m.||Agenda||Minutes|
|Affordable Housing Committee|
|November 28, 2019||1:00 p.m.||Agenda||Minutes|