A demolition permit is required when demolishing a building or structure. The owner must ensure:
- services for the building being demolished are sealed at the property line;
- measures are taken to protect the safety of the public while the demolition is in progress, including the erecting of barricades or fencing to prevent unauthorized or inadvertent entry to the site, and posting security personnel at the site when appropriate;
- notify the Sooke Fire Department when commencing demolition;
- complete demolition within 3 days for a building less than 185.8 m², and within 6 days for a building greater than 185.8 m²; and
- liability insurance of $2 million, naming the District of Sooke as insured, for structures greater than 185.8 m².