Blasting is the controlled detonation of explosives to alter existing topographical conditions. A Blasting Permit is required prior to all blasting.
- No person may blast, carry on blasting operations, or use any explosive agent within the District of Sooke without first obtaining a blasting permit.
- To apply for a blasting permit, a person must submit a blasting permit application in the form accompanied by the application fee “District’s Fees and Charges Bylaw”
- An applicant for a blasting permit must hold a valid Provincial Blasting Certificate.
- An applicant for a blasting permit must provide proof of liability insurance for the term of the permit with a minimum coverage of $2,000,000 per occurrence and naming the District of Sooke as an additional insured.
- Where blasting is required for excavation for the construction of a building, a holder of a blasting permit must first obtain a building permit for the proposed building.
- A permit expires and the right of the permit holder under the permit is terminated one year after the date the permit is issued.
- A permit is deemed invalid if the insurance provided under section 5 has expired and the permit holder has not submitted a new Certificate of Insurance for the remainder of the term of the permit.
Blasting Regulation and Safety
- A person may only blast, carry on blasting operations, use an explosive agent, or operate drills, compressors or other equipment used to prepare land for blasting, during the times specified in section 3.2(g) of the Noise Control Bylaw.
- No person may blast, carry on blasting, or use an explosive agent without giving notice at least 24 hours before the blasting commences to
- (a) owners and occupants of any building within a radius of 100 m of the blasting site;
- (b) the School District, Principal or person in charge of a school within a radius of 300 m of the blasting site; and
- (c) the District of Sooke in writing, including the site location and site contact information.
Contacts regarding concerns about blasting practices
Contact the blasting company for questions or concerns on specific blasting projects. This includes, duration of blasting, pre-blast surveys, property damage and warning signals.
- Safe blasting practices are dictated by WorkSafeBC and enforced by the same. Those that complete the blasting are certified and are issued blasters certificates through WorkSafeBC. Please contact WorkSafeBC (Victoria) with any safety concerns.
- Public notifications of blasting received by the District of Sooke are posted to this page
- Blasting Regulation Bylaw, NO. 72 [PDF]
- Noise Control Bylaw, No. 485 [PDF]
- Fees & Charges Bylaw [PDF]
|Date Posted||Effective Dates||Area (Address)||Documents (including Contact)|
|June 1, 2022||June 2-18, 2022||2200 Erinan Blvd.|
|May 26, 2022||May 31-June 14, 2022||1080 Silver Spray Way|
|May 12, 2022||May 4-18, 2022||7510 Ocean Park Place|
|March 30, 2022||April 4, 2022 for one month||6310 Riverstone Drive|
|December 1, 2021||December 1, 2021 for two weeks||7375 Boomstick Ave|
|November 2, 2021||November 3, 2021 for approximately 2-weeks||5666 Woodlands Road|
|October 19, 2021||October 21, 2021 for approximately 3-weeks||2755 Sooke River Road|
|September 23, 2021||September 27, 2021 for approximately 2-weeks||5380 Basinview Heights|
|September 23, 2021||September 27, 2021 for approximately 2-weeks||7330 Spartree Way|
|June 2, 2021||Month of June 2021, Monday through Saturday: 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (No blasting on Sundays or Statutory Holidays)||7049 Maple Park Terrace||Contact: Tony Miller
Western Grater Contracting Ltd., 250-478-4225
|March 23, 2021||March 25, 2021 for approximately 1-month||6310 Riverstone Drive|
|March 18, 2021||March 22, 2021 for approximately 1-month||7330 Spartree Way|
|March 18, 2021||March 22, 2021 for approximately 1-month||2001 Stone Hearth Lane|
|February 10, 2021||February 16-23, 2021||6914 Burr Dr.|
|February 5, 2021||February 8-15, 2021||2770 Phillips Rd.|
|January 29, 2021||February-December 2021||2150 & 7004 Melrick Pl.||LINK|
|January 27, 2021||January 27-February 11, 2021||2405 Dixon Rd||LINK|