Updated May 17, 2023
The Financial Services Department oversees the financial management and coordinates Information Technology functions for the District of Sooke. Departmental duties and functions include:
- Financial Planning
- Treasury and cash management
- Accounting and payroll
- Financial reporting and internal control
- Property Taxes
- Business Licences and Commercial Vehicles
- Risk Management and Claims
- Municipal Budget
Financial Services Bulletins
- As of August 4, 2022 BC property owners can update the mailing address on a title using a new online application. Applicants will be invited to use their BC Services Card app to verify their identity and to sign into the online application.
Registry Agents and other professionals are advised that the WX prefix will be adopted for Change of Mailing Address on Title applications received online from the public, and the BB prefix will be used for mail applications. FB, LB and BB prefixes will continue to be used for in-person applications. Learn more >>
- As of January 1, 2021, the Province of British Columbia will be administering the Home Owner Grant. The province shares, “theses amendments are the first step to centralizing the homeowner grant program for the 2021 tax year. The proposed amendments do not change the eligibility criteria for the program.” This means that the Province will be entirely responsible for the homeowner grant program for the 2021 tax year AND all homeowners will apply directly to the Province online or over the phone, read more.
- Change of Address: If you would like to submit an address change for your property tax account please complete the Address Change Request form and email to firstname.lastname@example.org. You must also change your address online at the BC Assessment website.
Release of Audit Findings
Audit Findings Reports to Council are prepared annually by the District of Sooke’s external auditors. The District’s auditors, KPMG, consider these reports confidential and deliver the findings to Council on a confidential basis. The District may release the information if it chooses. Reports released are available here.
Property Tax Information
Provincial legislation sets out detailed regulation of municipal taxation.
The District of Sooke collects taxes for both the municipality and a number of other governing agencies, such as the Capital Regional District, the Regional Hospital District, and Schools. Of the total property tax you pay, 44.8% is applied directly to municipal services. The balance is collected on behalf of, and transferred to other taxing authorities.
Each year, the District works to balance the current needs of the community while planning for the future. This process begins with residents through the citizen budget survey. The annual survey is available from mid-June to mid-July and is foundational to the District budget development and resulting determination of taxation. Get involved at letstalk.sooke.ca/budget.
Property tax notices are mailed annually in late May or early June.
Change of Address
If you would like to submit an address change for your property tax account please complete the Address Change Request form and email it to email@example.com. You must also change your address online at the BC Assessment website.