2020 Sooke Santa Run: Saturday, December 12th at dusk
The 27th annual “Santa Run” will take place on Saturday, December 12th starting at dusk (5ish). Presented by the Sooke Firefighter’s Association and IAFF Local 4841, the annual Santa Run is a well-loved holiday tradition in Sooke. Thanks to the collaborative efforts of firefighters and the community, much-needed donations are collected in support of the Sooke Christmas Bureau and local families in need.
Decorated with bright and colourful Christmas lights and playing festive holiday music, four trucks loaded with Santa and helpers will be driving through neighbourhoods to spread holiday cheer. While traditionally, the Santa Run has served as a means to gather cash and food donations and is a capstone of the firefighter’s annual Fill-a-Fire-Truck campaign, as with much of 2020, things will be a little bit different this year. Cash donations will be received online only, food donations will not be accepted this year. Read the release to learn more here.
How to participate:
- Make a donation online, at any time, through this link.
- Check out the four routes below and determine the closest location to you.
- Listen for the music and look for the firetruck sirens and lights.
- Step outside, while remaining physically distant from others, and wave, cheer, and sing a carol as “Santa” drives by!
RELATED FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (& ANSWERS):
Will food items be accepted at the Sooke Fire Hall this season or during the Sooke Santa Run?
No. While we are grateful for your generosity, this is for several reasons – all impacts of the pandemic:
- there are limited volunteers available to manage the capacity of processing goods
- under direction from public health, Work Safe BC and the Emergency Operations Centre every effort is being made to limit emergency responder contact with the public to ensure resources remain available to respond to emergencies.
- with the need in the community being greater than ever, leveraging the purchasing power of the Sooke Christmas Bureau will help to best ensure the need can be met.
Can I make a monetary donation during the Santa Run?
Please do so online. As the firefighters and their helpers make their way throughout the community, they will remain on the trucks at all times to maintain physical distance, spreading only holiday cheer.
Notice (November 17, 2020) – While we are optimistic that the plan in place provides a safe and responsible way to spread holiday cheer, given the evolving situation with COVID-19 cases in the province, should public health directives change – the event is subject to cancellation. Cancellation notice will be issued through the district website and Twitter feed.
Maps of each Route are listed below. Click on ‘Santa Run’ image to view one map of all four routes – individual route maps listed below.
Click on each route to go to the individual maps: