Highway 14 Updates
Last updated June 2, 2021
The District of Sooke would like to ensure its residents have access to all the important updates associated with the upcoming Highway 14, Sooke Road, upgrades. We will add information to this page when received and have provided links to the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure information packages and their website.
This project is not led by the District of Sooke and as such we are only able to provide the information we receive.
Should you have any questions, please contact email@example.com.
Click the image below to enlarge. A project photo gallery is available through the Ministry of Transportation website, see here.
June 2, 2021: Significant Disruptions to Morning Traffic
April 30, 2021: Planned Activities – April 2021
- Shoulder widening between Woodhaven Road and Shirley
- Paving between Woodhaven Road and Shirley
- Blasting operations on north side of road west of Shirley for construction of Westbound Slow Moving Vehicle Pullout
- Removal and replacement of culverts
- BC Hydro placing new poles
- Telus and Shaw on site to relocate infrastructure onto Hydro Poles
December 2, 2020: Update
Please be advised that Windley Contracting will commence construction on Highway 14 Connie Road to Glinz Lake Road. During construction, motorists can expect delays.
Windley Contracting Ltd. has developed a Traffic Management Plan acceptable to the Ministry of Transportation to minimize traffic impacts especially to emergency services, transit, local property owners and commuters. For your information, emergency services will always be given access.
There will be no work impacting traffic during any long weekend.
- Location: Highway No 14 – Connie Rd to Glinz Lake Rd
- Hours of Work: 7:00 am – 5:00 pm
- Duration: November 2020 – September 2022
A project photo gallery is available through the Ministry of Transportation website, see here.
General questions regarding this project should be directed to Kyle Webb, Traffic Control Manager for Windley Contracting Ltd. at 250-758-3411.
Thank you for your patience and understanding during the construction process.
Update March 20, 2020 from: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/transportation/transportation-infrastructure/projects/highway-14
December 2019 and January 2020 Public Engagement Summary
An Open House was held Tuesday December 3rd, 2019 at the Edward Milne Community School between 5pm and 8pm, which was attended by approximately 150 people. The open house presentation materials can be viewed here. Feedback was solicited until January 15, 2020 with over 350 participant interactions occurring via feedback form submissions, emails, phone calls and letters. The Engagement Summary Report can be found here. Public input has led to the following updates to the design of the Connie Road to Glinz Lake Road project:
- A new pedestrian underpass will be added to Highway 14 just east of Glinz Lake Road/Polymede Place to support active transportation in the region.
- New eastbound and westbound bus bays will be added to Highway 14 at Glinz Lake Road/Polymede Place to better serve transit users.
- The proposed Cooper’s Cove U-turn has been removed. Instead, a connector road between Manzer Road and Gillespie Road will allow Manzer Road residents access/egress from the highway via the new Gillespie Road grade-separated intersection. This connector will also provide an alternate emergency detour connection for Highway 14 between Glinz Lake Road and Gillespie Road, as well as further support active transportation in the area with sideroad connections.
- Culvert sizes will be increased to accommodate crossings of amphibians and mammals.
- Scuppered median barriers will be strategically placed to help keep small mammals from being trapped on the highway.
- Approximately 30 streetlights will be added near sideroad intersections to improve visibility for drivers.
May 2020 design roll plot illustrating the updated design of the Connie Road to Glinz Lake Road project
(click image for link to MOTI project page)