Register for the Public Alert Notification System (PANS)
During an emergency or significant event, it is important to seek local information. Threats and subsequent actions can differ according to geographic location – even within the Greater Victoria region. The District of Sooke has partnered with the CRD on their Public Alert Notification System (PANS). Sooke residents are encouraged to register to receive Sooke-specific emergency-related public alert notifications by phone, text, or email. When resident action may be required, a notification will be issued. Residents will receive a further notification if they are required to take action.
If you have not yet registered, register HERE and note:
- If you have formerly registered with CRD PANS with a Sooke address, no need to register again.
- IMPORTANT: All notifications issued will be based on the address provided. If you list an address that is not within the location for which you are registering (Sooke), you will not receive a notification if that area is affected. The address provided must be a physical address, not a Post Office Box.
- Select a User Name that you can easily remember. The recommended format is first initial, last name (example: jsmith). The Personal Identification Number (PIN) can be between 4 and 10 characters. Please record and store it in a safe location.
- Do not enter anything into the Latitude or Longitude fields as these will be automatically populated by the system.
- Please only use a local phone number. Long-distance phone numbers cannot receive alerts.
- If you have registered for SMS Text messaging a quick set of instructions will appear after you select the Submit button. Please follow the instructions to activate the SMS Text messaging service.
- Already registered? Login here.
Please Note: Since telecommunications companies do not guarantee timely delivery of text messages, you are advised to register alternate notification devices, such as a phone number for voice calls, in addition to SMS Text Messaging. You may register up to 9 devices for notifications. Emergency Phone is not notified.
Frequently Asked Questions (& Answers):
What is a Public Alert Notification System?
In the case of safety incidents, such as a tsunami, wildfire, or evacuation notice, the system can effectively notify residents who may be impacted.
Please note: As required by the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) any alerts sent via Alert Ready (the Wireless Public Alerting System provided by the Provincial and Federal Government) will take precedence over any notifications you receive via the Public Alert Notification System. Read more >>
When will the Public Alert Notification System be used?
The system will be used to notify Electoral Area residents in the case of a safety incident such as a wildfire, tsunami, or evacuation notice.
How do I register?
Residents must choose to opt-in to the system by registering. Click HERE to register.
Residents may choose to register for any one or more of the following options:
- Home phone
- Cell phone
- Work phone
- SMS Text Message*
*Please note: telecommunications companies do not guarantee timely delivery of text messages. Residents are advised to register for a primary notification option, such as a telephone number, in addition to SMS Text Message.
There are two options for being notified by cell phone: voice call and SMS Text Message.
- To sign up for voice calls, enter your cell phone number in the field labelled ‘Cell Phone 1 (Voice notification).’
- To sign up for text messages, enter your cell phone number in the field labeled ‘Text Message/SMS (same number as Cell Phone 1 entry)’. After you submit the form, you will need to confirm your text message subscription.
- To confirm your text message subscription, send a text message to 77222 with ERMS START as the only two words in your text message.
Text message cancellation
- To cancel your text message subscription, send a new text message with the words ERMS STOP to 77222. You will continue to receive notifications from other registered devices.
- Please note: for text messages, message and data rates may apply and the service provider cannot guarantee message delivery. Please select a secondary notification method (voice or email) in addition to text message to ensure prompt and reliable message delivery.
Entering an address or location
- Please ensure you provide a valid civic (physical address) located within your electoral area to receive notifications. Please do not use your mailing address if it is different from your civic address.
- If you do not have a civic address, please provide a description of the property (such as a lot number).
How do I update my account or cancel my registration?
Please return to this site to update your account if your address or contact information changes or if you would like to opt-out of the service
From your account, you can also modify the order in which the devices will be activated. If you are already registered, log in here.