Provincial and Federal Updates
British Columbia’s Provincial Health Officer has declared a public health emergency. This declaration allows the provincial health officer to facilitate an even faster response to the rapidly changing situation and enact further measures to protect British Columbians.
June 17, 2020 COVID-19: Planning BC’s recovery – have your say and take the survey!
The Province announced its (careful) Restart Plan in early May. You can have your say in Building BC’s Recovery, Together. As the province plans for recovery, the choices that are madein the coming weeks and months can help build a local economy – and a province – that works for everyone. To get there, resident voices are essential.
Join the discussion on what kind of province we want to build together by sharing your ideas on key questions such as:
- What do we need to do together to strengthen and improve our health care system? That means everything from our hospitals, clinics and personal care homes, to medical staff and supplies.
- What is the top priority for you personally when it comes to improving your quality of life? For some people that means affordable childcare or housing – what does it mean for you?
- What would most help improve your work life or work prospects? That could mean training to allow you to take advantage of job opportunities, or affordable childcare closer to home.
- Are we on the right track? Do you see your concerns and needs reflected in this approach?
WAYS YOU CAN HAVE YOUR SAY:
- Learn more – read BC’s Recovery Discussion Paper
- Take the survey (closes July 21, 2020) – share your ideas & opinions now
- Join an upcoming event – participate in a Virtual Townhall
- Stay up to date – sign up for email updates about BC’s COVID-19 Recovery
May 6, 2020 COVID-19 update from the province: BC’s Restart Plan introduced:
- May 27, 2020 Provincial state of emergency extended to June 9, 2020
- April 24, 2020 Applications for BC Emergency Benefit for Workers to Open May 1
- April 16, 2020 New COVID-19 supports for businesses, local government
- April 9, 2020 BC Temporary Rental Supplement, providing up to $500 a month to renters and landlords for COVID-19
- April 8, 2020 BC Parks announces immediate closure of all provincial parks
- March 31, 2020 Province extends provincial state of emergency to support COVID-19 response
- March 20, 2020 All restaurants to end dining service; personal service establishments (salons, spas, etc.) ordered to close.
- March 20, 2020 Canada US border closed to non-essential travel; irregular migrants will be turned away.
- March 19, 2020 Provincial Health Officer urges Canadians to stay home
- March 18, 2020, Prime Minister announced support for workers and businesses Canada’s COVID19 Economic Response Plan.
- Businesses with liquor primary licences, such as bars, pubs and night clubs, ordered to close, as they are unable to adequately meet the requirements of social distancing. Restaurants and cafes that cannot maintain social distancing of one to two meters between patrons will need to move to take-out and delivery models.
- Public gatherings of more than 50 people – indoors or outdoors – must be cancelled.
- Full statement
Vancouver Island Coastal Tourism Resiliency Program – providing Vancouver Island, Gulf Islands and Sunshine Coast tourism businesses with meaningful, hands-on guidance and support to navigate the immediate impact of the COVID-19 pandemic, adapt and work towards long-term resiliency. Register for the Program
- 2020_M082 – Bylaw Officer
- 2020_M083 – Local Government meetings
- 2020_M084 – Local Authorities and Essential Goods and Supplies