Wednesday, May 31, 2023 – The District of Sooke is launching a Community Climate Action Seed (CCAS) Funding Program to support and encourage residents, non-profit organizations and community groups that have ideas for community-based climate action projects.
Up to $40,000 is available this year through the Provincial Local Government Climate Action Program with grants of up to $1,000 available for individuals who are initiating community-based projects and up to $10,000 for not-for-profit organizations leading local initiatives.
Applications must demonstrate:
- A direct benefit to the community
- Support the implementation of the Sooke 2030 Climate Action Plan
- Improve resiliency to climate change and community wellness
- Foster neighbourhood pride and community connection
Some examples of potential projects include:
- Food security and garden exchange initiatives
- Farm-to-table and neighbourhood emergency preparation events
- Repair and waste reduction education and events
- e-mobility showcase
- Tree planting
- Invasive species removal and restoration events
- Neighbourhood FireSmart collaboration
- Community education events on topics such as rainwater harvesting, gardening, home energy reduction solutions, etc.
- Walk and roll safety initiatives
Grant applications are being accepted from June 1 to 30, 2023.
Submit the online application form during the intake period here:
Follow the implementation of the Sooke 2030 Climate Action Plan at letstalk.sooke.ca/sooke2030.
Christina Moog, Communications Coordinator
Tel: 250.642.1634, ext. 678 l email@example.com