June 1, 2020
The District of Sooke recognizes the importance of play, and has re-opened municipal playgrounds, effective today, June 1, 2020. Play structures have been closed since March 25, 2020, in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. Everyone should be mindful of appropriate personal hygiene practices before, during and after outdoor play.
The following playgrounds are now open for use:
- Broomhill Park (Beaton Road/Pyrite Drive)
- Woodland Creek Park (Callumwood Lane)
- Brooks Park (Brooks Road)
- Sunriver Tot Lot (Sunriver Way)
- Burr Park (Burr Road)
Signage has been posted at all municipal playgrounds advising residents that playground equipment will not be cleaned. Parents can make an informed decision prior to allowing children access to the equipment.
Residents are encouraged to adhere to the following recommendations:
- Stay at home if you are sick.
- Yield to other users and maintain at least six (6) feet of distance.
- As equipment will not be cleaned nor disinfected, residents are encouraged to bring hand sanitizer – recommended for use before, during and after playing.
- Washrooms at Broomhill Park will be open (with the caveat to use at your own risk) and are currently scheduled for cleaning twice daily (subject to change).
- Please pack out all waste and recyclables, whenever possible, as garbage as garbage can surfaces are not cleaned regularly. Please do not leave anything outside the cans.
- Use picnic tables and benches responsibly, and at your own risk, as it is not feasible to maintain regular cleaning after each use.
Ed Macgregor Park, Marine Boardwalk and Whiffin Spit Park were re-opened for public access on May 1, 2020, with some recommendations for safe and responsible use:
Using the parks and playgrounds responsibly will help ensure that residents will continue to have access to our beautiful outdoor spaces.
Matt Barney, Emergency Program Coordinator & EOC Director
District of Sooke Fire Rescue
250-642-5422 ext. 638 | email@example.com
District Contact and Social Media Channels:
Facebook: Emergency Program
District Phone: 250-642-1634
District Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Staff Email: Directory
Fire Dept. Phone: 250-642-5422