April 30, 2020
The District is pleased to announce that the Marine Park Boardwalk, Whiffin Spit, Ed MacGregor, and Sooke Bluffs Parks will once again be open to the public, effective May 1, 2020 at 4:00pm.
In order for the Parks to remain open, residents are encouraged to adhere to the following recommendations:
- Stay at home if you are sick.
- Help limit interactions with wildlife and other residents. Marine birds may have been enjoying the enhanced refuge of Whiffin Spit. Please keep an eye open for nests, and do not disturb any if sighted.
- Consider keeping pets on-leash. On-leash dogs will limit interactions and help create an environment where wildlife, humans and pets can co-exist.
- Yield to other parks users and maintain at least six (6) feet of distance from other residents.
- Endeavour to restrict groups to members of the same household.
- Stay to the right of trails to allow safe passing, and call out to warn others of your approach if sight-lines are poor.
- Whiffin Spit parking lot washroom will be open, but trail-side outhouse will remain closed.
- Pack out all dog waste and garbage as garbage can surfaces are not cleaned regularly. Please do not leave waste outside the cans.
- Use picnic tables and benches responsibly, and at your own risk, as it is not feasible to maintain regular cleaning after each use.
- A full parking lot is an indicator that the park is at capacity, so residents are encouraged to visit another time, or find another park to enjoy – please do not park on residential side streets and walk in.
There will be an increased Bylaw presence at District Parks to ensure considerate use. Thank you for using our precious parks responsibly to ensure continued access.
Matt Barney, Emergency Program Coordinator & EOC Director
District of Sooke Fire Rescue
250-642-5422 ext. 638 | SEPDirector@sooke.ca
District Contact and Social Media Channels:
Facebook: Emergency Program
District Phone: 250-642-1634
District Email: email@example.com
Staff Email: Directory
Fire Dept. Phone: 250-642-5422