Celebrating 30 years of community spirit
Tuesday, November 14, 2023 – Today, the Sooke Firefighter’s Association and IAFF Local 4841 Charitable Giving Campaign are launching their annual giving campaign with a goal to raise $30,0000 in their 30th year!
The campaign, delivered in partnership with the Sooke Christmas Bureau, the District of Sooke, Western Foods, and Village Foods, is led by local firefighters who, along with other District staff, volunteer their time for both the fundraiser and Santa Run. Team members will be at local businesses over the coming weeks with the campaign culminating in the annual Santa Run on Saturday, December 9th.
A community tradition continues with the addition of “Santa Claus Pit Stops”
The Sooke Santa Run, a capstone of the Sooke Firefighters Charitable Giving Campaign, that warms the hearts of families is set to continue! On Saturday, December 9th, starting at dusk (approximately 5 p.m.), four fire trucks decorated with bright and colourful Christmas lights, playing festive holiday music will drive through neighbourhoods to spread holiday cheer.
All routes will have a Santa Claus Pit Stop along them. Teams will stop at these stations for ~5 MINUTES at the designated times (displayed on the map), to greet families in the area, take photos and collect donations (cash or food).
NOTE: New for 2023! The Blue Route will start from Fire Hall No. 1, changing the overall direction of the route. This will allow Blue to hit the greatest number of families at the beginning of the event.
How to donate:
- See our elves at a local business leading up to the Santa Run? Make a cash donation storefront.
- Donate online at any time. Please note that there will be no portable electronic payment systems this year.
- Food and cash will be collected during the Santa Run this year. For those wishing to donate food items, the Christmas Bureau notes that cereal, school snacks, and easy-open cans are always needed!
More about the Sooke Food Bank and the Sooke Christmas Bureau
- The Sooke Food Bank is open the first three Thursdays of the month from 9:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. at 2037 Shields Road.
- Registrations for a Christmas Hamper are being accepted until November 30th.
- The food bank provides one hamper of food per month to families and people from Sooke and the surrounding area, including Port Renfrew. They support 100 families every week!
- The Sooke Food Bank is organized and operated through the hard work of volunteers and the kindness of the community.
Over its 29-year history, the Sooke Firefighters Charitable Giving Campaign, thanks to inspiring community support, has supported over 6,500 families.