Tuesday, August 16, 2022 – Looking to serve your community and be a part of a rewarding team? The District of Sooke is hosting a Paid On-Call (POC) Firefighter Recruit Information Session on August 23 at 7:00pm – and residents of Sooke interested in joining are invited to attend.
The session will provide information about Sooke Fire Rescue Department, the application process, and the recruit school experience. The opportunity exists to ask questions and meet fellow potential applicants.
“Being a firefighter means providing a service to the community, it is about dedication and commitment with the goal of providing our residents and visitors with a competent caring response,” shares Sooke Fire Chief Ted Ruiter. “I look forward to meeting potential recruits on August 23 to answer their questions and introduce them to the family of Sooke firefighters.”
The District of Sooke is seeking Fire Fighter recruits for the class of 2023; residents are invited to apply by the September 9, 2022 deadline.
The District of Sooke recruits POC firefighters annually for the POC Recruit Training Program. The 2022/2023 program will run from November 2022 to May 2023. POC firefighter applications for the 2022/2023 POC Recruit Program are being accepted until September 9, 2022 for the 2022/2023 POC Recruit Training Program.
Frequently Asked Questions
POC firefighters are your neighbours, your co-workers and your friends. They are men and women in all walks of life that live close to you and respond 24/7 when paged to deal with the emergencies in our community. They are people of all ages, races and backgrounds. They are people who choose to give to our community.
- Resident of the District of Sooke
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Drivers’ license; access to a vehicle, and a driving record that demonstrates safe and responsible driving
- At least 18 years of age
- Police Information Check clearance
- Class 1, 2, 3, or 4 driver’s license
- Air brake endorsement
- Previous fire or emergency services experience
- Fire related courses, such as NFPA 1001 Level II, NFPA 1002, NFPA 472, NFPA 1051
- Post-secondary education
- Technical or trade certificate
- First aid training
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work well as a team player
- Application Form completed in full and submitted by the September 9, 2022 deadline
- Copies of education certificates
- Drivers Abstract from ICBC
- Copy of Drivers License (front/back)
- Police Information Check
- Resume and Cover Letter
POC firefighters are paid an hourly wage when called to respond to emergencies and to attend weekly training sessions.
Learn more and watch the recruiting video here:
Sooke Fire Department