The District of Sooke is seeking up to five (5) public members to sit on the Sooke Program of the Arts (SPA) Committee, whose purpose is to make recommendations to Mayor and Council on wide range of community arts initiatives and events within the community.
Specific responsibilities of the Committee include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Review, develop and make recommendations to Council on the District of Sooke’s arts program policy, Official Community Plan and other district policies and plans that may relate to the arts;
- Identify and make recommendations to Council on community artistic initiatives which may include the acquisition of art and the promotion of community artistic endeavors;
- Liaise with other district committees, district staff, community arts organizations, the business and general community on the promotion of new and existing arts initiatives;
- Administer the Sooke Arts Reserve Fund as may be delegated by Council including but not limited to establishing and participating on juried arts panels;
- Review and update the District art collection as may be required;
- Foster public awareness, recognition, education, support and celebration of the community arts in Sooke; and
- Liaise with organizers of local arts and cultural events for which the District provides funding and/or in-kind support, as requested by Council.
Committee meetings will take place approximately once per month on a regularly scheduled basis, as established by the membership. The term of the initial appointment to the SPA Committee will extend to December 31, 2021.
Sooke residents or business owners interested in serving on the SPA Committee are invited to submit their application to the District of Sooke for consideration by Friday, July 17, 2020 at noon.
Application forms can be accessed by clicking the link above, or by visiting https://sooke.civicweb.net/document/5175
Full Committee Terms of Reference can be viewed here: https://sooke.civicweb.net/document/43266
Completed applications can be submitted the following ways:
Mail: Corporate Services
District of Sooke
2205 Otter Point Road
Sooke, BC V9Z 1J2
For more information on the SPA Committee please contact Corporate Services at firstname.lastname@example.org, or contact the Municipal Hall at (250) 642-1634.