November 21, 2019
Sooke, BC – During an emergency or significant event, it is important to seek local information. Threats and subsequent actions can differ according to geographic location – even within the Greater Victoria region. The District of Sooke has now partnered with the CRD on their Public Alert Notification System (PANS). Sooke residents are encouraged to register to receive Sooke-specific emergency-related public alert notifications by phone, text, or email.
For residents of Sooke who have already registered with the CRD’s PANS, there is no need to register again. The CRD initiated PANS in 2018, and Sooke residents were provided the opportunity to sign up for CRD alerts at that time. The District of Sooke is now participating in the program alongside our neighbouring communities, providing capacity to share Sooke-specific alerts with residents. All former and new registrations, with a Sooke address, will receive Sooke emergency alerts.
- If you have formerly registered with CRD PANS with a Sooke address, no need to register again.
- IMPORTANT: All notifications issued will be based on the address provided. If you list an address that is not within the location for which you are registering (Sooke), you will not receive a notification if that area is affected. The address provided must be a physical address, not a Post Office Box.
- Select a User Name that you can easily remember. The recommended format is first initial, last name (example: jsmith). The Personal Identification Number (PIN) can be between 4 and 10 characters. Please record these and store in a safe location.
- Do not enter anything into the Latitude or Longitude fields as these will be automatically populated by the system.
- Please only use a local phone number. Long distance phone numbers cannot receive alerts.
- If you have registered for SMS Text messaging a quick set of instructions will appear after you select the Submit button. Please follow the instructions to activate the SMS Text messaging service.
Please Note: Since telecommunications companies do not guarantee timely delivery of text messages, you are advised to register alternate notification devices, such as a phone number for voice calls, in addition to SMS Text Messaging. You may register up to 9 devices for notifications. Emergency Phone is not notified.
Need assistance or have questions?
- Visit the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) page at www.crd.bc.ca/pans
- Contact the Sooke Fire Rescue Department: 250-642-5422 or email: email@example.com
Matt Barney, Deputy Chief and Emergency Program Coordinator
Sooke Fire Rescue Dept.