Tuesday, August 31, 2021 – The District is excited to announce the next phase of the 2022 Budget Process with the launch of the Citizen Budget Survey and Service-level Review. Residents are invited to participate using the online platform at letstalk.sooke.ca/budget until September 26th.
Using the Citizen Budget survey, residents can enter their property assessment and see how their tax dollars are distributed between district service areas. Through the survey, residents can also:
- share where they feel resources should be increased or decreased across the District’s budget;
- rate the importance of services;
- report on satisfaction levels of District services and;
- provide additional comments.
By joining the budget conversation and staying connected throughout the process, residents will learn:
- what other projects and/or expansion of services that are important to Sooke residents are planned for within the five-year financial plan and;
- when projects identified in master plans, such as the Transportation Master Plan and the Parks and Trails Master Plan, will be implemented.
Recognizing some residents may prefer to provide feedback through a print form, print surveys will be distributed via the Sooke News Mirror this Thursday with additional copies available at the Sooke Municipal Hall and upcoming local events. For those who would prefer to participate by phone, please call 250.642.1634 and District staff would be happy to assist you.
Connect in Person
In addition to the online and print survey, District Council members and staff will be conducting community pop-ups to answer resident’s questions about the District’s budget. Stop by and say “hello”:
- Thursday, September 2, 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. at the Thursday Night Market, Sooke Region Museum
- Tuesday, September 7, 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. at A & W, 6660 Sooke Road
- Wednesday, September 8, 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m., SEAPARC Leisure Complex, 6168 Phillips Road
- Thursday, September 9, 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m., The Stick, 6715 Eustace Road
- Friday, September 10, 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m., Whiffin Spit
- Saturday, September 18, 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., Celebrate Sooke! at John Phillips Memorial Park
- Tuesday, September 21, 9:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m., The Stick, 6715 Eustace Road
- Wednesday, September 22, 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m., LIttle Vienna, 6726 W. Coast Road
- Thursday, September 23, 9:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m., Road 2 Sooke, 6929 W. Coast Road
- Thursday, September 23, 1:00 p.m. 3:00 p.m., Broomhill Playground, 2280 Pyrite Drive
- Friday, September 24, 9:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m., Serious Coffee, 104-6661 Road
- Saturday, September 25, 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m., Sooke Country Market at John Phillips Memorial Park
(Note: in-person pop-up schedule subject to change. The schedule will be kept in real-time at letstalk.sooke.ca/budget.)
Learn more and participate:
Community feedback through this process will be presented and discussed at the October 18th Committee of the Whole meeting.
- Citizen Budget Survey
- Let’s Talk Budget Platform
- 2021-2025 Five-year Financial Plan
- Parks and Trails Master Plan
- Transportation Master Plan
Christina Moog, Communications Coordinator
250.642.1634, ext. 678