Land Use and Development Committee
The purpose of the Select Committee on Land Use and Development is to provide recommendations to Council regarding land use policies and development procedures, with focus given to the implementation of statutory plans/local area plans/master plans, housing policy, sustainable development practices, environmental policy, harbour improvement, farmland protection, and maintaining compatibility of building bylaw regulations and the zoning bylaw.
- Subscribe to received Committee notifications (agendas & minutes) to your inbox.
The objectives of the Committee are to encourage adherence to District of Sooke land-use policies, and when presented with alternative solutions to achieving the strategic goals of the organization, provide policy recommendations or best practices to achieve the desired priorities.
Topics for consideration include:
- Secondary Suites
- Town Centre Development
- Shoreline-Waterway Interface
- Development Incentives
- Subdivision and Development Standards
- Sub-Regional Land Use Planning
- Agricultural Land Reserve Parcels
- Official Community Plan Analytics
Additional Committee Terms
The membership consists of up to nine (9) members including:
- One (1) member of Council
- One (1) member of the Land Development Community
- One (1) member of the Home Builders Community
- One (1) member of the Business Community
- One (1) member of the Agricultural Community
- One (1) member of the Environmental-Climate Change Community
- One (1) member of the Ocean and Fisheries Community
- One (1) member of the Affordable Housing Community
- One (1) member at large
The Mayor serves as ex officio member; except when a quorum is not reached for a committee meeting, then the Mayor is a temporary voting member for that meeting only.
The Committee may choose a Chair to preside over its meetings from among its members.
One (1) year in accordance with Policy No. CO-007, Committee Structure and Function Policy, 2020
The Committee will meet once a month, the day and time to be determined by the committee members or at the call of the Chair. The Community Charter and the District of Sooke policies and bylaws shall govern the Committee.
The Director of Planning and Development will be the primary contact and will provide, or delegate, the required professional support. The Corporate Services Department will provide secretarial and administrative support.
Meeting Agendas & Minutes