Monday, November 15, 2021, 2:30pm – Sooke Road is open at Impala to single-lane alternating traffic. Please expect delays.
Schools in Sooke will hold children until parents/caregivers can safely pick up.
Monday, November 15, 2021, 12:30pm – Crews continue to respond to localized flooding and clear blocked storm drains. Resident assistance in clearing drains and keeping catch basins clear is very much appreciated. If you spot a blocked storm drain at risk of causing flooding and you’re unable to clear it, please contact 250.642.1634.
High winds are also in the forecast today. Public and staff safety is our top priority. Residents are asked to stay away from fallen trees and branches. District crews respond to incidents involving fallen trees and branches on public property. Residents are reminded to care for trees and debris on their private property.
Tree failures on public property can be reported to our Parks service areas at 250.642.1634.
If you see a downed power line or trees on power lines, stay away and call 911. Keep a distance of at least 10 metres (33 feet), which is about the length of a transit bus.
November 15 Council Meeting Postponed
The District meeting scheduled for this evening is cancelled and will be rescheduled. We will inform you once a new meeting date is confirmed.
Monday, November 15, 10:58am – Do not attempt to travel past any marked road closures. If you do not need to leave your home, please stay home. While rainfall is lessening, it will take time for water levels to recede.
If your home has been impacted by flooding, please contact your insurance provider.
Monday, November 15, 9:35am – Sooke is experiencing an extreme weather event with heavy rains, impacting several roads and parks. Updates will be shared throughout the day.
- Highway 14 is currently closed between Gillespie and Impala Road. East Sooke Road is also closed at Beecher Bay Road due to flooding.
- In the event of a medical emergency, Sooke Fire Rescue is available to respond.
- The District’s Emergency Operations Centre has been activated to assist with planning and logistics as we respond to the current weather event.
Monday, November 15, 2021, 8:30 a.m. – Sooke is experiencing an extreme weather event with heavy rains, impacting several roads and parks. Updates will be shared throughout the day.
- Highway 14 is currently closed between Gillespie and Impala Road, a detour is available through East Sooke.
- Sooke Potholes is closed with the Sooke River Road closed at the first gate. Access to the park will remain closed until the water recedes.
- Sunriver Nature Trail is closed until the water recedes.
- The sandbag station is open at 2070 Kaltasin Road. Residents are reminded to please bring their own shovel. Bags and sand are available for residents to fill their own sandbags.
- There is localized flooding in numerous places and assessments are ongoing. Do not drive through deep, standing water and avoid any area of fast-moving water.
Rain is forecast to slow this afternoon, however, it will take some time for all of the standing water to drain. Residents are asked to ensure catch basins in front of their homes are clear to assist with drainage.
Please report any issues through our website or by calling 250.642.1634.