NEWS RELEASE November 21, 2017
The 24th annual “Santa Run” will take place on Saturday, December 9th starting at 5:00pm. Presented by the Sooke Firefighter’s Association and IAFF Local 4841, the annual Santa Run is a well-loved holiday tradition in Sooke. Thanks to the collaborative efforts of firefighters from the District of Sooke, Otter Point and East Sooke, much-needed cash and food donations are collected in support of the Sooke Christmas Bureau and local families in need.
Decorated with bright and colorful Christmas lights and playing festive holiday music, four trucks loaded with Santa and helpers will be driving through neighbourhoods to collect cash and food donations. This event is the capstone of the annual Fill-a-Fire-Truck campaign. Last year, over $100,000 worth of food and cash were donated by caring residents.
“This tradition of giving, and helping our neighbours, is really what Sooke is all about,” shares Mayor, Maja Tait. “Council extends much appreciation to our community – the firefighters, staff, volunteers and residents – who contribute to the Santa Run and foster the true spirit of the holidays.”
How to participate:
- Watch for your bag – delivered to homes in the town core on November 29th by carriers of the Sooke News Mirror – and usual mail outlet drop boxes (bags can be picked up at the Sooke Fire Station after the 29th).
- Check out the four routes on the bag and determine closest location to you.
- Place non-perishable donations in the bag.
- Follow our fire truck routes online via our LIVE “Santa Tracker” www.sooke.ca/santa on the day of the run.
- Listen for the music and look for the firetruck sirens and lights.
- Meet Santa en route with your donation bag.
Donations can also be dropped off at the Sooke Fire Hall at 2225 Otter Point Road. Watch our social media channels for updates:
Facebook: SookeFireRescue Twitter: @SookeCa and #SookeSanta
Fire Chief/Director of Community Safety
District of Sooke
Tel: (250) 642-5422