[Sooke, BC] – Mayor, Council and District staff are extending an invitation to media, residents and visitors of Sooke to attend the official grand opening of the Galloping Goose – Sooke Connector Trail. Please join us for the ceremonious ribbon cutting on Monday, July 11th at 11:30am to celebrate this new multi-use trail connection.
The event will take place at the north end of Sooke River Road Park where the paved multi-use trail enters the park. Street parking is available on the north side of the cross walk (park between Sooke River Road and the new paved trail). Alternately you can park at 2249 Sooke River Road (at the soccer fields) with a short walk along the new trail to the site (click map to view).
The project to connect the Galloping Goose Regional Trail to the existing multi-use trail network in Sooke has been completed thanks to a generous grant to the District of Sooke from BikeBC. This connection at Kirby Road to Sooke Road allows users of the Galloping Goose Trail safe access to the town centre, avoiding an otherwise lengthy trip along the busy Sooke Road (Highway 14).
The scope of work included:
- Approximately 400 meters of paved, separated, multi-use trail along Sooke River Road from Kirby Road to Sooke River Road Park
- Approximately 400 m of gravel multi-use trail through the park to Sooke Road;
- Pavement markings and signage along Kirby Road and Sooke River Road;
- Wayfinding at various locations along the Galloping Goose directing users to the Town Centre;
- Motorized vehicle parking improvements where possible, along the frontages of the Sooke River Road Park and the sports fields; which occurred with stakeholder consultation (Sooke Community Association, SEAPARC and Sooke Horseshoe Pitching Association)
Chief Administrative Officer
District of Sooke
Tel: (250) 642-1634