Friday, March 17, 2023 – The District of Sooke is welcoming Wayne Kennedy as the District’s new Deputy Fire Chief and Emergency Program Manager.
“I am very humbled and honoured by this opportunity to serve with such a great team here in Sooke,” shares Deputy Chief Kennedy.
Deputy Chief Kennedy arrives in Sooke with over 26 years of experience in fire services and serving in North Vancouver in a similar role.
Kennedy began his career with the District of North Vancouver Fire and Rescue Service in February 1997 where he served as a firefighter before being promoted to Assistant Chief – Operations in 2009 and then Deputy Fire Chief – Operations in 2013.
Kennedy holds several qualifications including:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Human Kinetics;
- Diploma in Liberal Arts & Science;
- Fire Executive Management Certificate;
- Fire Service Leadership Diploma;
- Fire Officer Certificate;
- Chartered Manager (C.Mgr) designation;
- Executive Chief Fire Officer (ECFO) designation;
- Chief Fire Officer (CFO) designation;
- Numerous certifications in fire studies.
In his role with the District of Sooke, Deputy Kennedy will lead Sooke Fire Rescue alongside Chief Ted Ruiter and oversee the District Emergency Management Program.
“What a privilege to work with the men and women of the Sooke Fire Rescue who wear the uniform with pride and professionalism, and deliver a diverse service with tremendous compassion and care to the community,” says Kennedy. “There are many exciting initiatives moving ahead and I look forward to contributing to this amazing team!”
Please join us in warmly welcoming Deputy Kennedy to our community!
Tel: 250.642.1634, ext. 678