We’re accepting applications for Paid On-Call Firefighters!
Applications for Paid On-Call Firefighters are accepted year-round. The next class of recruits starts training in January 2022, with an application deadline of September 1, 2021. Applications are available online and at Fire Station #1, 2225 Otter Point Road. To learn more, contact Firefighter, Ben Temple by phone 250-642-5422, or email firstname.lastname@example.org
A Police Information Check is required of all members of the department. NEW PIC Electronic Process 2021
Training sessions for new recruit firefighters begin in January 2021 at Fire Station #1. When basic training is completed, successful applicants will be issued a pager and can begin attending emergency calls.
After basic training, recruits become a “Probationary” Firefighter. Prior to being a Probationary Member, each recruit must successfully complete a written and practical evaluation.
Upon successful completion of probation, the new member becomes a “regular” firefighter and continues with regular Thursday night training sessions with their fellow firefighters.
- Paid On-Call members living west of the Sooke River Bridge will be assigned to Station 1
- Paid On-Call members living east of the Sooke River Bridge will be assigned to Station 2
All new recruit firefighters are trained to the NFPA 1001 Standard through the Justice Institute of British Columbia. Once recruit members have achieved the NFPA 1001 Level 1 Standard, they are able to continue the process to become accredited NFPA 1001 Level 2 firefighters.
Paid On-Call Firefighter Requirements:
- Resident of the District of Sooke
- High School Graduation or GED
- Canadian citizen or landed immigrant status
- Driving record that demonstrates safe and responsible driving behaviour
- Must be in good physical condition and able to successfully complete agility test
- At least 18 years of age
- Current drivers license and access to vehicle
- Must pass a criminal record check
- Must be able to attend all scheduled training sessions
- Must work well with others and be able to function in the dynamic and fast paced emergency services.
- Must be medically fit
- Class 1, 2, 3, or 4 drivers license
- Air brake endorsement
- Fire related courses, such as NFPA 1001 Level II, NFPA 1002, NFPA 472
- Post secondary education
- Technical or trade certificate
- Advanced first aid training
- Previous fire or emergency services experience
- Ability to respond to daytime emergencies
Sooke Fire Rescue offers no-obligation information and orientation sessions for all new and prospective Paid On-Call applicants. You and your spouse are encouraged to attend where you can learn just what it takes to become a firefighter in your community.
Being a Paid On-Call Firefighter is an extremely rewarding and fulfilling opportunity. All members will be challenged both mentally and physically on a daily basis. Being an active member is a similar commitment to a part-time job.
Questions about recruiting? Contact us! 2225 Otter Point Road | phone: 250-642-5422 | email: email@example.com