We’re accepting applications for Paid On-Call Firefighters!
The application deadline to apply for the 2022-2023 Recruit Class is September 9, 2022.
Applications are available online and at Fire Station #1, 2225 Otter Point Road. To learn more, contact Firefighter, Ben Temple by phone 250-642-5422, or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Paid On-Call Firefighter ONLINE Application Form
Paid On-Call Firefighter Schedule & Application Information 2021-2022 (2022-2023 Information Coming Soon!)
A Police Information Check is required of all members of the department.
Training sessions for new recruit firefighters begin in late Fall 2022 and conclude in late Spring 2023 at Fire Station #1. When basic training is completed, successful applicants will be issued a pager and can begin attending emergency calls.
After basic training, recruits become “Probationary” Firefighter. Prior to being a Probationary Member, each recruit must successfully complete a written and practical evaluation.
Upon successful completion of probation, the new member becomes a “regular” firefighter and continues with regular Thursday night training sessions with their fellow firefighters.
- Paid On-Call members living west of the Sooke River Bridge will be assigned to Station 1
- Paid On-Call members living east of the Sooke River Bridge will be assigned to Station 2
All new recruit firefighters are trained to the NFPA 1001 Standard through the Justice Institute of British Columbia. Once recruit members have achieved the NFPA 1001 Level 1 Standard, they are able to continue the process to become accredited NFPA 1001 Level 2 firefighters.
Paid On-Call Firefighter Requirements:
- Resident of the District of Sooke
- High School Graduation or GED
- Canadian citizen or landed immigrant status
- Driving record that demonstrates safe and responsible driving behaviour
- Must be in good physical condition and able to successfully complete agility test
- At least 18 years of age
- Current drivers license and access to vehicle
- Must pass a criminal record check
- Must be able to attend all scheduled training sessions
- Must work well with others and be able to function in the dynamic and fast paced emergency services.
- Must be medically fit
- Class 1, 2, 3, or 4 drivers license
- Air brake endorsement
- Fire related courses, such as NFPA 1001 Level II, NFPA 1002, NFPA 472
- Post secondary education
- Technical or trade certificate
- Advanced first aid training
- Previous fire or emergency services experience
- Ability to respond to daytime emergencies
Sooke Fire Rescue offers no-obligation information and orientation sessions for all new and prospective Paid On-Call applicants. You and your spouse are encouraged to attend where you can learn just what it takes to become a firefighter in your community.
Being a Paid On-Call Firefighter is a rewarding and fulfilling opportunity. All members will be challenged both mentally and physically on a daily basis. Being an active member is a similar commitment to a part-time job.
Questions about recruiting? Contact us! 2225 Otter Point Road | phone: 250-642-5422 | email: email@example.com